Member Services and Events Internship~
The Innovate Carolina team is recruiting student interns for the 2021-2022 Academic Year. Innovate Carolina, University-wide initiative for innovation and entrepreneurship (I&E), is led by the Vice Chancellor’s Office for Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Economic Development. The Innovate Carolina headquarters team and its partners in the I&E campus network provide faculty, students and alumni with the tools and resources they need to turn their ideas into innovations that make a human and social impact..
Internship Job Description:
The student intern team will work closely with the Innovate Carolina staff, specifically regarding work related to 1789 Hub, UNC’s community for all students interested in innovation and entrepreneurship. The focus of the work will be on Member Services and Event Planning but other logistical and administrative is required. The mission of Innovate Carolina is to ensure Carolina is a place where innovators thrive, and the student intern will act as the voice of innovation on campus by:
• Managing, scheduling, promoting and leading orientations to 1789 Hub, UNC’s community for all students interested in innovation and entrepreneurship
• Updating member list, answering inquiries, speaking to undergraduate classes or programs, attending fairs, working a table in the pit or attending events led by student organizations supported by Innovate Carolina.
• Helping to organize, promote and support an annual Startup Meet and Greet (Nov), Minority Startup Meet and Greet (Nov), Annual Innovation Showcase (April) and TEDxUNC events.
• Deploying creative approaches to reach departments, programs and stakeholders interested in innovation and entrepreneurship. Create opportunities to increase diverse engagement across campus.
• Ensuring the Innovate Carolina Network is aligned with what student innovators need by identifying gaps that exist in the current campus environment, curriculum and community for student innovators and strategizing with the Innovate Carolina team to develop solutions.
The student interns need to be organized, professional, energized and proactive in seeking out students who may not realize their passions are innovative. The position will give the student experience in community development, event planning, administrative/logistical work, and peer-to-peer experiential learning.
• Strong proactive, independent work style with an enthusiasm for innovation and entrepreneurship
• A creative mindset and a passion for helping others
• The ability to meet deadlines and work as part of a collaborative student team.
• Friendly demeanor or previous customer service experience
• Experience within UNC’s current ecosystem for I & E (1789, Shuford, Launch, etc.).
• Current 1789 member
• Sophomores or Juniors who are involved with innovation or entrepreneurship on campus.
• Experience with Microsoft office, Eventbrite, Gmail and iContact
• Prior experience with event planning, promotion and public speaking.
Type and Timing of Internship:
Part Time, during Fall Semester
Approximate Start/End Dates:
2021-08-15 — 2021-12-18
Number of available openings: 1
Hours per week: 8-10
Time Frame: Aug 15 –Dec 15 (with potential to continue through spring semester based on performance)
Base pay: $12/hour
Supervisor: Kimi Yingling, Student Engagement and Events Specialist
Location: 109 Church Street/Launch Chapel Hill + Remote work
Apply by sending a cover letter and LinkedIn profile or resume to Kimi.Yingling@unc.edu by Aug 11, 2021.
Primary Contact Email: