Assistant to the Owner
Here at Brandwein’s our way is a little different: We believe every bagel is an opportunity to make a difference in our community and touch people’s lives. We support and honor locally sourced ingredients with our freshly baked goods and delicious food! We celebrate creativity and reward hard work in an environment that is respectful, energetic and fun! We live by our Core Values: Be Caring, Be Humble, Be Hungry, Be Thoughtful, Be Positive. We begin each day with a “Good morning!” and end each shift with a “Thank you.” Brandwein’s Bagels invites you to join our Team as we aim to build lasting community by making people’s days a little bit better with good food done well!
Brandwein’s Bagels is an equal opportunity employer. Our employees are the heart and soul of the business and we intend to do everything we can to make Brandwein’s Bagels a healthy and safe work environment for you. Everyone who enters our space has our promise to be treated with dignity and respect.
Voted Indy Week’s “Best Bagel in the Triangle” in 2022
Voted one of Chapel Hill Magazine’s “Best Breakfast” in 2022 and “Best Catering” in 2021, 2022
Alex Brandwein was honored by the Chamber of Commerce as “Young Professional of the Year”
Brandwein’s Bagels is seeking a dynamic and highly motivated individual to fill the role of Assistant to the Owner!
Brandwein’s has enjoyed exceptional performance and incredible community recognition and support in our three years of operations and are now in the midst of even more growth. As we continue to grow, we are looking for a highly motivated, multi-faceted Assistant to work closely with the Owner to help make the shop run even better!
The Assistant to the Owner will work directly with Alex Brandwein. Originally from New York, Alex received his undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2011. After college, he spent eight years in investment banking and private equity in Chicago and then New York. Alex came to UNC in 2018 for its MBA program – to explore his entrepreneurial passions, to cultivate his leadership skills and to develop the tools necessary to start and lead a business. He immediately fell in love with the community and recognized an opportunity to share his love of New York-style bagels by opening a shop in downtown Chapel Hill.
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to learn the skills necessary to run your own business in the future, this is the position for you! As Assistant to the Owner, you will learn the inner workings of a growth company, including exposure to the operations, marketing, Team management and business development of Brandwein’s. You will actively support the Shop to help make it run smoothly by fielding questions from Team Members, communicating with clients, covering shifts, running errands, and delivering catering orders! Over time, you will grow to independently oversee the Shop and manage strategic projects that contribute to Brandwein’s growth.
This role requires exceptional organizational skills, multitasking abilities, and a proactive mindset to support Alex Brandwein in various aspects of business operations. The ideal candidate is a high performer who thrives in a fast-paced environment, possesses excellent communication skills, and is willing to take on a wide range of tasks to ensure the success of the business!
You Will Work Closely with the Owner:
– Work side-by-side with the Owner, first acting as an additional pair of hands in all activities, and eventually managing, executing projects, and overseeing the Shop on your own!
– If the Owner steps out, you will become the person who provides support to the Front of House, Catering, The Line, and The Director of Operations
– Opportunity to learn everything about the business and how it runs
– Get a 360 degree view of the business, learning about and helping to improve the Operational, Team & Culture, Marketing and Strategic Growth of Brandwein’s
You Will Be Actively Involved in Day-to-Day Activities:
– Provide support across all Teams by executing a wide range of tasks, from Front-of-House shifts to Catering deliveries, errand runs, and more, as needed to meet business demands
– Learn a variety of skills including kitchen best-practices, food safety, and customer service
– Exhibit excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email communication, scheduling tools, and basic office software
– Handle written and verbal communication on behalf of the owner with professionalism and attention to detail, reflecting the values of Be Thoughtful and Caring
– Assist with inventory management and procurement, including trips to storage, grocery stores, and other vendors as required
You Will Uphold the Core Values:
– Demonstrate resilience and a positive attitude in the face of challenges, maintaining a solution-oriented mindset
– Maintain a task-oriented approach, ensuring all assigned duties are completed accurately and in a timely manner, driven by a strong work ethic and a passion for meaningful work
– Utilize strong organizational skills to manage schedules, appointments, and deadlines effectively, demonstrating thoughtfulness and attention to detail in all tasks
– Uphold Brandwein’s service standards and values while interacting with customers, partners, and Team Members, demonstrating a genuine care for the people you engage with
– Maintain a positive and proactive attitude, contributing to a collaborative and cohesive Team environment, and inspiring others through your positivity
– $45k – $55k / Year Based on Experience
– Discretionary bonuses
– Earned Paid Time Off
– Uniform Set Provided
– Free meals
– Employee discounts
– Proven track record of high performance in fast-paced and dynamic work environments, fueled by a genuine passion for hard work and a positive outlook
– Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
– Exceptional written and verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills – a true “people person”
– Proficiency in computer skills, including email communication and basic office software
– Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and priorities
– Excellent problem-solving abilities and mental agility to tackle diverse challenges
– Willingness to go above and beyond to support the Team and meet business needs
– Ability to work independently while also being an integral part of a Team
– Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation for errands and deliveries
– Must have open availability including weekdays, weekends, holidays, and some evenings
– Enthusiasm for the food and service industry is a plus!
– We are looking for a hustler. Someone who is self-motivated, loves what we are about and will do everything, and anything, necessary to accomplish our goals.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
– Able to lift up to 50 lbs
– Can stand for long periods of time during shift
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Type and Timing of Job:
Start Date: 2023-10-30T00:00:00Z
$45k – $55k / Year Based on Experience
If interested, please contact Alex Brandwein at firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary Contact Email: